1. 35 people charged in Chicago-area drug trafficking cases.
CHICAGO — Nearly three dozen people are facing federal or state charges in connection with heroin and fentanyl trafficking in Chicago. Federal prosecutors in Chicago announced the charges Tuesday. They say 22 people face federal drug offenses and 13 others face state complaints. [ WGN9 ]
2. 3 men, Alabama couple accused of drug trafficking in Georgia.
SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Authorities say cocaine, marijuana and ecstasy worth more than $1 million combined have been seized in Georgia and that five people, including an Alabama couple, have been arrested and charged with drug trafficking. [ WHNT News 19 ]
3. Alcohol marketing awareness linked to ‘higher risk’ drinking among UK teens.
Young people’s awareness of alcohol marketing – and their ownership of alcohol-branded merchandise – is associated with increased and higher-risk consumption, a landmark study has found. [ News Medical ]
4. U.S. deaths from alcohol, drugs, and suicide hit the highest level since record-keeping began.
The number of deaths from alcohol, drugs, and suicide in 2017 hit the highest level since federal data collection started in 1999, according to an analysis of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data by two public health nonprofits. [ USA Today ]
5. Marijuana Licensing Issue May Lead To “Extinction Event” In California.
As many as 10,000 growers will reportedly have their temporary licenses expire over the next new month if a new bill is not passed. [ The Fix ]
6. Drug Possession Laws in New Jersey.
Drug possession in NJ can result in jail time. What are some of the common sentences? This article reviews New Jersey [ Addiction Blog ]
Visit Previous week Addiction Recovery News Around the World