Baclofen Withdrawal Symptoms
Baclofen acts on the GABA receptors and produces a relaxing effect on the nerve activity, which may be addictive to some people. You must also note that not only for people who abuse the drug, even for patients who take the exact dosage but baclofen addiction is also a potential risk.
As they try to quit the addiction or take a pause in its use, they start to show baclofen withdrawal signs and symptoms. It is crucial to notice these symptoms in the initial stages so that you can avoid potentially dangerous advanced symptoms. For this, you will need to take the help of a medical professional and not depend on yourself.
Although baclofen is used to treat substance abuse disorders for alcohol and other drugs, it can change the chemical processes in the brain. Hence, you should make sure to wean the habit, but not quit it cold-turkey.
Baclofen Withdrawal Timeline
Initial Stage – 48 Hours
- Anxiety and confusion
- Low blood pressure
- Tingling sensations
- Return of spasticity
Peak Symptoms -72 Hours
- High temperature
- Muscle stiffness
- Loss of motor function
- Organ failure
Some Shocking Statistics
- In a 2012 study involving 100 patients with alcohol addiction, 92 of them stopped having cravings when baclofen was used. However, in cocaine-dependent men, the effects were the same as those of a placebo.
- In 2017, 4,587,436 prescriptions were written for baclofen in the U.S.
- From 2014-2017, 15,397 cases registered at the U.S. poison centers involved baclofen exposure in the form of suicide attempts, misuse, and abuse.
- Abusers usually combine baclofen with Xanax or other benzodiazepines, or with cocaine or opioids, to increase the level of intoxication.
- Since painkillers and muscle relaxants like baclofen are easily accessible than prescription opioids, the number of people abusing these drugs have increased. Besides, baclofen is not a controlled substance.
Baclofen Addiction Treatment Options
Baclofen is a commonly used medicine to treat alcohol or drug addiction. However, when patients take higher doses or use it for a longer duration, it can produce a high that is quite addictive.
Seeking medical care from specialized and licensed professionals at inpatient and outpatient addiction treatment centers and detox facilities can provide you the required individual attention and monitoring.
Stages Of Treatment For Baclofen Addiction
Detox: Your body adapts to not having baclofen in its system. Once you stabilize and start to function normally, you go to the treatment stage.
Treatment: Here you have 3 options – inpatient, residential, and outpatient programs, depending on the severity of your addiction.
After-Care: To maintain sobriety even after your treatment schedule is up, your medical program details a lasting recovery plan. It is crucial that you have a plan in place before starting treatment for your addiction to baclofen.
Support Groups: 12-step programs, group counseling, and other therapeutic methods that can connect you with people who are going through the same issues as you. You can support and assist each other on your way to long-term sobriety.
Find The Nearest Baclofen Addiction Treatment Center
In some situations, these baclofen addiction issues can be quite deadly. So, when you stop taking baclofen, it should be done gradually. Medical detox can help your body get accustomed to the fact that it won’t be supplied with the drug anymore. Use our website to locate the best drug rehab to get rid of baclofen addiction today.