VIRGINIA SUBSTANCE ABUSE
Virginia is officially known as the Commonwealth of Virginia located in the Mid-Atlantic and southeastern region of the united states. It is located between the Atlantic coast and the Appalachian mountains. Richmond is the capital of the state, the most populous city of the state is Virginia Beach, the most populous political subdivision is Fairfax county. The population of the state is estimated at over 8.5 million in the year 2018. The economy of the state has many sectors like agriculture, federal agencies, military facilities and etc.
These are the top cities in Virginia
|S.No||Name of the cities||Population||Latitude/Longitude|
|1||Virginia Beach||452,745||36.853 / -75.978|
|2||Norfolk||246,393||36.847 / -76.285|
|3||Chesapeake||235,429||36.819 / -76.275|
|4||Richmond||220,289||37.554 / -77.46|
|5||Arlington||207,627||38.881 / -77.104|
Most commonly abused substance in Virginia
Substance abuse statistics
- Roughly about 488,000 people who age more than 12 abuse or dependent on alcohol between the years 2009 and 2013.
- The death rates have been increased in the state, for the heroin or fentanyl overdose there has been observed 471 deaths, and for the prescribed opioid overdose(opioid use disorder), its is about 398 deaths.
- About 17% of adults in the state who age over 18 report binge drinking and an average binge drinker consumes 7.1% drinks on an occasion.
- In the state, the total cost of excessive alcohol consumption is 6,126,000,000 dollars or 776 dollars per capita.
- In the year 2014, about 21% of the population in the state needs some kind of treatment for their illicit drug abuse.
- Among the teens, these painkillers have become a more popular substance for their misuse. About 4.8% of adolescents age between 12 and 17 abuse pain killers and the count is about 30,000.
- In the year 2013-2014, about 1,71,000 people who age more than 12, approx about 2.5% of people in the age group were dependent on or abusing illegal substances.
- Showcasing the need for alcohol rehab in the state, there were about 484,000 people who age over 12 (7.1% in that age group) were abusing or dependent on alcohol in the year 2013-2014.
- Only about 6.3% of people in the state and it is about 29,000 people receive treatment in Virginia per year from 2010-2014, while many of them struggle for the abuse and addiction in the state.
- In the spring of 2018, Virginia receives $9.76 million in federal grant funding from the U.S Department of Health and Human Services.
- The rate of opioid-related deaths has been doubled from the year 2007 to 2016 in Virginia and the count jumps from 515 in 2007 to 1,133 in 2016.
- According to the data from 2011-2015, about 60% of the adolescents in the state whose age between 12-17 have a major depressive episode and didn't receive any proper treatment within the past year.
- When adjusted for the age, the overdose death rates in the state numbered 16.7 per 100,000 or 13.7 per 100,000. Since 2006, it has been observed about a 149% increase in drug-related overdose death rates in Virginia.
- The people who were in the age group 35-44 have the hardest hit for the overdose death rates and the county which has the hardest-hit area was Tazewell.
Substance abuse treatment
- For substance abuse disorder in Virginia, about 22910 people received treatment.
|S.No||Name of the drug||Number people received treatment||percentage|
SAMHSA’s National Helpline
If you are struggling with addiction, SAMHSA helps you to find local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations.
Addiction Aide HotLine
Addiction aide provides confidential drug abuse assessment and treatment placement tailored to your individual needs. Achieve Long-term recovery, give us a call or fill out the form below and we will respond as soon as possible.
Find a way to your recovery
The state has the very hardest hit for the overdose death rates due to the abuse of drugs and alcohol. In order to help the people of the state, the government takes many initiatives, spreading awareness about addiction, conducting needle exchange programs and etc. Not only government sectors there were many private organizations and NGOs who gathered involving in much volunteer activity to help the people. You can also visit addictionaide website to know about the treatment centers near your area or give a call for quick guidance.
Current captions about Drug abuse in Virginia
Approximately 25,000 residents above the age of 12 had practiced heroin in the past year of 2015.
About 397,000 people were qualified for a diagnosis of an alcohol use disorder.
In 2016, nearly 773 babies were born addicted to opioids.