COLUMBIA SUBSTANCE ABUSE
It is located in the North Western corner of South America. Columbia has an area of 1,138,903 square kilometers (439,733 square miles) and a total coastline of 3,207 kilometers (1,993 miles) distributed between the Caribbean Sea and North Pacific Ocean. Colombia is one-ninth the size of the United States. It is a country of 46 million people named after Christopher Columbus who arrived in America in the 1400s. The fourth largest country in South America. Columbia’s capital, Bogota is a bustling urban area of over eight million people.
In the below chart, we have listed populated cities in Columbia
|1||Bogota||8,181,047||4.624335 / 74.063644|
|2||Medellin||2,529,403||6,15,6.62 / 75,3348.92|
|3||Cali||2,445,405||3.359889 / 76.638565|
|4||Barranquilla||1,232,462||10,58,6.74 / 74,46,52.75|
|5||Cartagena||1,036,134||10,23,58.99 / 75,30,51.98|
Located near the equator, Columbia’s varied geography encompasses mountain highlands, arid plateaus, lush rain forests, and tropical Caribbean beaches. The country is home to a wide range of plant and animal species. Columbia is a major exporter of flowers, particularly roses to the US and European markets as well as coffee, leather and other agricultural goods. It has a GDP of $ 791.995 billion with per capita $ 15,719 and nominal GDP of $355.163 billion with per capita of $ 7,049.
Substance abuse in Columbia
The nature of drugs and alcohol consumption among urban poor communities in Columbia. It also looks at levels of community tolerance of drug and alcohol use, and in particular at the complex ways in which these attitudes relate to levels of violence and insecurity. The paper, drawing on the perceptions of the poor themselves, argues for the need to take the issue of community tolerance into account in designing responses which need to have sustainable development for the achieving the goals and it should be effective in nature.
The most commonly abused substance in Columbia are mentioned below with percentage
- Drugs 87%
- Marijuana 87%
- Heroin 68%
- Alcohol 58%
- Cocaine 50%
Columbia addiction and treatment
- Lot many people were addicted to drug and alcohol with lots of efforts it was managed to get and stay clean environment with the help of well known organizations like alcoholics . Thousands of residential and out patient clinics devoted in treating addiction
- In Columbia, nationally consumption of marijuana was estimated to involve between 3.3 and 6.5 percent of the population between 0.7 and 2.9 percent using cocaine.
- In the low-income urban communities where the PUAs were conducted, drug consumption was estimated to be far higher 60 percent in the community Medellin.
- Some children, repeatedly began to use marijuana at the age of 8, moving on to petrol and glue by the age of 12
- Alcohol consumption was not considered by research participants to be as problematic as drug use, especially in Columbia. Nationally, in Columbia, between 75.6 percent and 90.6 percent of the population were estimated to consume alcohol, with the urban poor identifying a similar proportion.
- Some 4% of the world’s population, some 300 million people,has consume cocaine in his or her life. Approximately 70% of the cocaine consumed globally comes from Columbia.
Travel for treatment in Columbia
Depending on the requirements for the treatment, recovery centers are there in Columbia, would definitely provide the treatment centers near the location who has been addicted for. Generally people move to the best treatment centers in Columbia and the country, in order to obtain better treatment. But we need to stay away from this kind of environment.
SAMHSA’s National Helpline
If you are struggling with addiction, SAMHSA helps you to find local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations.
Addiction Aide HotLine
Addiction aide provides confidential drug abuse assessment and treatment placement tailored to your individual needs. Achieve Long-term recovery, give us a call or fill out the form below and we will respond as soon as possible.
Find a way to your recovery
A context-specific approach and an understanding of community tolerance of substance abuse are essential in order to understand local-level consumption. While the acceptance of drug consumption has grown over time, especially in Columbia, the fact that alcohol abuse has been considered normal for many years makes it a more insidious problem. The violence associated with substance abuse was shown to contribute strongly to urban insecurity, as well as to erosion of social capital in local communities. Thus, the paper argues for the need to develop holistic responses that link projects to wider sustainable development goals and the importance of taking into account the issue of community tolerance.
Current captions about Drug abuse in Columbia
Nearly 37 % of individuals were arrested in Washington, D.C. tested positive for cocaine in 200
439 individuals were hospitalized due to synthetic marijuana abuse in June 2015
HIV transmission rates
HIV transmission rates between intravenous drug abusers dropped by 80 % from 2007 to 2015