Table Of Contents
Heroin Withdrawal Symptoms
When heroin addicts do not get their regular fix in time, they have severe cravings for the drug, which impairs their judgment. They may be willing to go to any lengths to get heroin. Even if they try to inject themselves in such a susceptible and vulnerable state, there will be more risk of exposure to HIV and hepatitis.
Besides, long-time users of heroin, especially the bar tar form, may have clogged blood vessels; liver, lung, and kidney damage; collapsed veins; and other issues.
A person trying to take control of his life and lose the addiction may start by giving up the drug abuse completely. But the sudden cessation of drug use will result in heroin withdrawal.
Heroin Withdrawal Timeline
- Runny nose
72 Hours- 1 Week
- Lack of focus
- Muscle pain
Beyond 1 Week:
- Heroin cravings
- High blood pressure
- Slowed respiration
Some Shocking Statistics
- Around 36 million people in the world have an addiction to heroin and abuse opioids, including prescription painkillers.
- About 591,000 Americans over the age of 12 have heroin SUD substance use disorder.
- 4 out of 5 new heroin users started out as prescription painkiller abusers
- The highest rate of hospitalizations and medical emergencies due to heroin overdose or misuse is the age group between 21 and 24 years.
- Between 1999 and 2016, the heroin overdose deaths increased from 1,960 to 15,469.
Heroin Addiction Treatment Options
There is a stigma attached to heroin addiction, which may be one of the reasons that addicts fear to come out openly and admit their dependence.
First, you need to understand that addiction or substance abuse is a disease. Just like you seek medical care for other illnesses, you need to get treatment for heroin dependence issues. However, choosing the right drug addiction treatment facility is crucial.
With proper care and attention for every individual who enrolls at an inpatient drug rehab, medical professionals can help you get rid of heroin addiction. With behavior modification therapy, you can stay positive and avoid the drug cravings from coming back.
Visit Your Nearest Heroin Addiction Treatment Center Now
If you need help to kick your addictive habit, or you want to help a friend, we have made it easier for you to find the best rehabs. The top drug rehabs in the country are featured on our website. Take a look and choose one to get the best treatment for heroin addiction.