Millions of Americans grapple with substance addiction on a daily basis. Crack and cocaine are the two most commonly abused drugs in the United States. Both crack and cocaine are strong and illicit stimulants that are used as recreational drugs. They are very addictive as they affect the reward pathway of the brain. Cocaine is easily accessible and is even sold on the streets. As an outcome, people who abuse this drug become dependent on cocaine within a short period. The effects of crack cocaine will be very dangerous.
People often abuse both crack and cocaine to get a high feeling. But you may be wondering: where do cocaine and crack come from? How are they produced? Are crack and cocaine the same and what is crack cocaine? This article will resolve all your doubts about crack and cocaine.
What Is Cocaine?
Cocaine is a natural substance found in the coca plant, which is native to South America. Globally, cocaine is the most abused illegal drug after cannabis. It has been estimated that 1 to 3% of the population in the developed countries have used cocaine at some point in their lives. Cocaine is snorted and inhaled as smoke. Users sometimes take cocaine as a solution and inject it into the vein. It is a powerful nervous system stimulant and causes both physical and mental effects. The side effects of crack cocaine begin within seconds to minutes of its use. Physical effects include dilated pupils, sweating, and fast heart rate, whereas, mentally, it induces a high feeling and psychosis. Cocaine comes in the form of fine white powder with a bitter taste. Some users rub this powder along the gum line, which numbs the teeth and gums.
What Is Crack Cocaine?
Crack cocaine is a free base form of cocaine and is simply known as crack. Cocaine can be smoked and causes a crackling sound; hence, the name crack. In appearance, crack looks like off-white crystals. Although crack cocaine can be obtained in a rock form, some people smoke cocaine as this is much more potent and gives a high feeling, which is more intoxicating than with the use of normal cocaine. The process of smoking cocaine is done with baking soda, water, and a spoon. The powdered cocaine is mixed with baking soda and heated on the spoon. Thus, smokable cocaine is produced. Smoked crack reaches the brain in 8 seconds, producing an intense and immediate effect. This is why a person becomes addicted even if it is their first time trying to crack.
Street Names For Crack Cocaine
- Devil Drug Dice
- Crunch & Munch
- Bad rock
- Beat Candy
- Chemical Cloud
- Grit Hail
- Cookies Crumbs
- Fat Bags
- Glo Gravel
- Electric Kool-Aid
- French Fries
- Hard Rock
- Prime Time Product
- Ice Cube
- Raw Rock(s)
Difference Between Crack And Cocaine
Cocaine is called the “rich man’s drug” as it is very expensive whereas crack is much cheaper; even teens can afford to buy it. Cocaine can only be snorted and injected into the bloodstream. Crack can be smoked to cause an immediate effect which lasts up to 30 mins. Crack is made by mixing non-euphoric substances like ammonia or baking soda. On the other hand, cocaine is derived from the leaves of the coca plant. Cocaine comes in a white powdered form and crack is typically in the form of off-white rock crystals.
|Appearance||The white, crystalline powder||Yellowish-white rock|
|Method of Administration||
|Average Prison Term (2009)||7years 3months||9years 7months|
|Duration of the High||When snorted 15 to 30 minutes||When smoked Five to 15 minutes|
|Physiological Issues people face||
|Street Price||$100 to $125 per gram||$5 to $30 per rock|
|Demographics of US (2016)||
What Are The Short And Long-Term Effects Of Crack Cocaine?
The long term or even short-term side effects of crack cocaine are intense. While the individuals who are dependent on various substances may be good at hiding it, this is rarely the case with crack cocaine. This drug is very short-acting and because of this reason, for every 15-20 minutes, addicts take breaks to smoke. Also, the mental fixation connected with crack cocaine can be so difficult that many people cannot continue a normal conversation due to their obsession over their next “hit.” Effective treatment for crack addiction is a long road to recovery, nevertheless, it is possible. Discover how to overcome your crack addiction and get your life back.
Cocaine flushes dopamine into the brain causing the “cocaine high” feeling. When you use this substance, you will be finding short and long-term crack and cocaine effects on the body as follows.
Crack Cocaine Symptoms: Short-Term
- Lack of appetite
- It raises your blood pressure, heart rate, and body temperature
- Contracted blood vessels
- Raised rate of breathing
- Disturbed sleep patterns
- Dilated pupils
- Bizarre, erratic, sometimes violent behavior
- Hallucinations, hyperexcitability, and irritability
- A tactile hallucination that generates the illusion of bugs burrowing under the skin
- Extreme euphoria
- Anxiety and fear
- Severe drug craving
- Psychosis and panic
- Attacks, illnesses, and unexpected death from high doses
Long-Term Effects Of Crack Cocaine
- Permanent injury to blood vessels in the ear and brain
- Hypertension, strokes, and death
- Liver, kidney, and lung damage
- Severe chest pains
- Respiratory failure
- Infectious diseases and abscesses if injected
- Malnutrition, weight loss
- Severe tooth decay
- Auditory and tactile hallucinations
- Sexual problems, reproductive damage, and infertility (for both men and women)
- Disorientation, apathy, confused exhaustion
- Anger and mood changes
- Increased frequency of risky behavior
- Delirium or psychosis
- Severe depression
- Tolerance and addiction
Statistics Regarding Cocaine And Crack
According to the research of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) in the United States, cocaine abuse has continued relatively steadily since the early 2000s, with a recent rise in abuse of cocaine. This is most possibly due to severe enforcement of abuse of methamphetamine and people who want to misuse this illicit drug endeavoring an alternative.
- According to a report by the SAMHSA, the following was discovered about the abuse of cocaine in 2017:
- In 2016, nearly 38.8 million individuals above the age of 12 admitted using at least once in their lifetime. This figure increased to 40.6 million in 2017.
- Before the survey, about 5.1 million people admitted to using cocaine in the year 2016 alone. This figure increased to 5.9 million in 2017.
- Nearly 1.9 million people admitted to abusing cocaine at least once a month in 2016. This figure increased to 2.2 million in 2017.
Here Are The Statistics For Crack Cocaine Abuse:
- In 2016, nearly 8.8 million individuals admitted using crack cocaine at least once in their lifetime. This figure increased to 9.6 million in 2017.
- About 882,000 people admitted to past-year crack abuse in 2016. This figure increased to 930,000 million in 2017.
- The month before the survey was taken, around 432,000 people admitted to abusing crack. This figure increased to 473,000 people in 2017.
Cocaine Use By Adolescents
- According to the research in 2016, nearly 212,000 adolescents between the ages of 12 and 17, had abused cocaine at least once in their lifetime. The figure rose to 169,000 people in 2017.
- The year before the survey was taken, the records show that 136,000 individuals between 12 and 17 years of age used cocaine. Now the figure is 127,000 in 2017.
- In 2016, the records show that 28,000 individuals between 12 and 17 years of age used cocaine the month before the survey was taken. Now the figure is 26,000 in 2017.
Between 2016 and 2017, abuse of crack cocaine has been increasing in younger individuals:
- Between ages 12 and 17 – 17,000 individuals have admitted that they used crack at least once in their lifetime. The figure was 31,000 in 2017.
- The year before the survey, about 11,000 people between ages 12 and 17 admitted to abuse of crack in 2016. In 2017, this figure was 16,000.
Crack and cocaine addiction could be fatal. This addiction destroys the addict’s mind and body. The use of cocaine drastically releases the three neurotransmitters (serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine) into the brain. Crack cocaine symptoms first show up as a feeling of intense pleasure. Immediate effective treatment is required for a person diagnosed with cocaine addiction. Inpatient drug rehab Los Angeles, CA, is preferred for persons with severe addiction. It is imperative to learn and find the best addiction treatment center that offers tailored treatment programs with effective methods like counseling and therapies to help them recover from crack and cocaine addiction.