Addicts often consider that they are proficient in battling a drug addiction without counseling, but counseling is an essential methodology to address the substance abuse habits. A bit of expert advice from the health concerned counselor is more efficient than what medicine can do. A successful recovery seeks sound counseling methods irrespective of the type and style of the therapy. Social and psychological factors namely stress, social factors that include occasions like birthday parties, family celebrations and environmental factors that include visiting a place which will relate to the habit of the addict can be the powerful motives during the recovery battle.
Why Counseling is Important for Addiction Recovery:
One of the most important aspects to conquer addiction is counseling. If your loved ones or you are trying to kick your habit, then it is significant to reach out the hands of counseling to fight for successful addiction recovery. Recent studies have revealed the fact that an addict who experiences the relapse is likely more than those who receive counseling. Rehab centers are offering various styles of counseling in the recovery program. Some of the methods included are:
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – It is a kind of psychotherapy, where patients work with mental health counselors to make them aware of negative thinking and help them to be more clear with the situations to respond in an effective way.
- Secular Counseling – assumes that there is no final answer, no all-encompassing story that explains the meaning of life.
- SMART Recovery – SMART stands for Self-Management and Recovery Training. SMART differs from AA(Alcoholics Anonymous ) by not encouraging individuals to admit powerlessness over addictions, not endorsing the disease theory of alcoholism and not using the concept of a “Higher Power”. According to the smart recovery addiction is not seen as a disease , it is viewed as a dysfunctional habit.
- Relapse Prevention – Relapse is a gradual process with distinct stages, when it is recognised in the earlier stage, there has been a great chance to recover. On every stage of recovery, there are risks of relapse. Main tools which were used to fight relapse or to prevent relapse were cognitive therapy and mind-body relaxation which helps to get away from all negative thinking. Educating them can be a better way to prevent relapse.
- Twelve Step Group Therapy
- Confess impotence over the addiction
- Accept that some power is going to help you.
- Making up your mind to transfer the control to the high power
- Taking a personal inventory
- Communicating the wrongs done by another person to the high power
- Preparing oneself to correct the shortcomings in one character by the high power
- Willing to accept and get amends for their wrongs
- Contacting the person who got hurt because of the consequences of an activity
- Take your personal inventory continuously and admit it if one person is wrong
- Meditation and praying can help you to seek enlightenment and connection with the higher power
- When there is a need, communicate these 12staeps to those who need this
- Coping Strategies – When we have a threatening situation the thoughts and actions we use to deal with are often referred to as Copying. There were 2 copying strategies commonly. One is Problem-focused strategy – First analyze the situation, work hard, apply the strategies what you have learned from your daily life, finally talk to the person and the other one is Emotion-focused strategy – a)Brood, b)Imagine/Magic thinking c)Avoid/Deny d)Blame e)Social support . These strategies & steps vary in different situations and persons
- Moral Reconation Therapy- Moral Reconation Therapy (MRT) is a type of behavioral therapy aimed at decreasing the likelihood of someone returning to abusing substances or alcohol. It teaches people in the criminal justice system with substance use disorders to focus on the moral aspects of their illness, and the social consequences that may be associated with using drugs or alcohol.
- Life Skills Counseling- Life skill Counselling mostly speaks about the quality of life, they majorly helps to sharpen life skills such as communication, goal setting, self-management, and stress reduction.
- Motivational Interviewing- It is a method of counseling helps people to resolve insecurities and ambivalent feelings to find the internal motivation which is essential to change their behavior. It is a practical, empathetic, and short-term process that takes into consideration how difficult it is to make life changes. Motivational interviewing is often used to address addiction and the management of physical health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, and asthma.
There are different ways of counseling, used in addiction rehab centers like family counseling, behavioral counseling, counseling during detoxification and group counseling.
Family counseling is important and convincing in addressing addiction. One of the main aspects of family counseling is to rebuild the communication gap between the addict and their loved ones. Positive family involvement will help the addict to achieve a new outlook in terms of addiction and will support throughout the journey of recovery. Counseling will connect relatives & friends who have become detached & resentful. The healing process will become at ease when your closest ones help you to break the cycle towards addiction.
Behavioral Counseling, called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy & Behavioral modification can help in motivation and self-destructive behavioral changes. The main objective of this type of counseling is to replace the negative habits into positive ones. It would help you manage any challenging situations you may face or may be facing in the path of recovery. Role-playing, discussing coping mechanisms, Modifications in response, positive reinforcement is some of the exercises included in behavioral counseling.
Counseling During Detox:
Counseling, called “talk therapy” is the important aspects of addiction treatment. It helps to deal with the emotional problems that you or your loved ones may undergo and also helps in changing the unhealthy responses and directs to a positive life. Counseling during detoxification helps you or your loved one’s journey from substance abuse to developing a healthy life. The counselors teach about the detox treatment and addiction & support the addict to achieve a clean and positive lifestyle.
Individual One-on-One Counseling:
Individual counseling involves a single patient who confides with a single counselor. Many people in recovery prefer individual counseling as it yields them more privacy. The main aim of individual counseling is helping the addicts to manage the grief, psychological trauma, handle depression, and to learn about themselves. Individual counseling concentrates on the betterment of the individual and their requirements. The counselor will support you from the longings for drugs and help you or your closest ones to see life with positivity.
Group counseling for substance abuse is a method that offers you advice and experience of other individuals who had walked in the same path of addiction. One of the important aspects of group counseling is to prove that recovery is possible when you are along with others who are undergoing the same recovery process. In group counseling, your peers will help you lift back again and would develop a healthy companionship. Opening up to the group about the struggles will help you to taste the victory in the path of recovery.
Through counseling you can:
Improve your motivation for recovery
Motivational interviewing treatment will be enhanced to motivate the addict in the journey of recovery. It will encourage you or your loved ones from using substance abuse and leads to a positive path.
Acquire knowledge on how to overcome alcohol abuse
Cognitive Behavioral therapy will give you hand in time of struggling with alcohol abuse. This therapy will help the addicts to overcome the feeling of craving for alcohol. This is the best therapy to deal with for addiction therapy, sometimes an additional popup therapy too needed according to the individual’s recovery needs.
Involve those closest to you in therapy activities
Family members or friends who are well aware of the addiction concerns will be allowed to participate in counseling gatherings that create a positive impact on the path of recovery.
A powerful relationship with the counselor helps in the healing process and increase the success rate of rehab. They help you to recover from your worst past and brightens your life with a pleasant present. Counseling is important in the recovery phase as it shows a path to a healthy life in a confident and positive way. In this blog, we have stated few importance of counseling, the effectiveness and the result of counseling various from different persons and situations. We also detailed the different techniques the counselors would use to handle a person’s situation and help them to get out of the negative situations. When you enter a treatment center for treatment, counselors were the one who helps you the most to achieve sobriety, not only during your recovery, even after your recovery, as an outpatient or to avoid relapse, you can get the help of these counselors. They are really candlelight on your path to recovery in the dark of addiction. Don’t be afraid of the dark, take the glory and the magnifying light from the candle move towards the recovery using counseling.